Thursday, January 18, 2007

They will know we are Christians by our Love....

Encouragement in the hospital over the past week! I entered a patient's room and a middle-aged African American was comfortably sitting on the bed. After a thorough examination, I informed the patients that she has a TMJ disorder and the continuous jaw popping was due to arthritis in the joint. As I was about to leave the room, she all of a sudden said, "You favor your mother, don't you?" Taken slightly by surprise I told her that yes, some people do believe me and my mom look alike. She further told me that God informed her of that while I was examining her. I found this slightly strange. Then she continued and asked confidentally, "You are a good Christian lady, aren't you?" I explained that I'm not the best of Christians, but yes I am a Christian and strive to live out God's will for my life. So she then said, "Well, God told me that and also that you are pure.... you don't run around with males and you're still waiting for the right one before you get married." Of course, by this time I have chills all over my body and felt like I was about to pass-out. I actually had to lean against the doorframe due to my dizziness. Straining for words, I told her that was all true. And she just responded with encouragement and said that she had been praying for whomever would be taking care of while she was in the waiting room and then as she awaited me in her private room. Continuing with encouragement she said she's very blessed to have been treated by another "strong" Christian and hopes that I will continue to stand for my beliefs and to live for Christ alone. How amazing! I was so blessed with these words that I know that the Lord has me in this profession to serve others. All it takes is a smile and Christ's love to be a servant....

Yesterday, I had a patient who was so very excited to see me! I had drained a couple of her abscesses in the past and had recently opened another one last week. On the day of her last draining, she asked when I would be working again because she only wanted to see me. I accidentally told her I was working on Monday from noon-10pm when I was actually working nights Monday night. Well, yesterday she shows up and tells me that she came on Monday and asked the nurses at triage when I would be back, because she didn't want anyone else taking care of her. Then she presented me with a package of candies and cookies in boxes that had Faith, Hope, Peace, and Love printed on the outside. As I was repacking her abscess, we had a few good conversations about her life in Chicago and what God has done in her life through those experiences and her life here in Alabama. What an amazing time for me to talk about Christ and encourage other believers that He is Lord!

So, those are two of my favorite stories over the past week. I need to continually remind myself that I am not a practitioner that treats only physical illness, but also emotional and spiritual aspects of my patient's lives. It's hard to remember that in Americanized medicine, for me at least... Trips to third-world countries where medical needs are so great, it's easy to remember to share Christ but I have the roughest time with some of my patients here in America.... I love my profession and am praying that God uses me to the best of my ability no matter what country I am in...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home