Friday, January 26, 2007

Early Birds

The other day, I had the privaledge of taking my grandmother to have a bone scan done to see whether she had osteoporosis. Usually, she likes to leave super early so she has plenty of time to find the place, etc, etc. Fortunately, I was able to talk her into leaving 45minutes early instead of an hour and a half since it only takes 20minutes to get to the hospital. All went well at the doctor's appointment, and after overhearing a conversation while I was waiting, I realized how thankful I am for my grandmother in that she isn't always the early bird. Around 8:30am I was in the waiting room, an elderly couple entered the office to sign in. When the lady behind the counter asked what time the couple's appointment was, the husband responded "10:30 ma'am." The young lady had quite a startled look on her face and said okay if you could fill out these papers, we'll try to get you in on time. The man then explained that he has to fill out all the papers for his wife because her arthritis is so bad, so he was there early just to make sure all the papers were completed correctly! 2 HOURS early, unbelievable! At that point in time, I became very thankful that my grandmother doesn't make me get there 2 hours early for her appointments....

Scenarios like this make me wonder why it is that the elderly community insists on being early for everything? It must have been something in their generation that taught that promptness must be next to godliness, but I don't know. I know the saying goes the early bird catches the worm, but if you catch the worm and have to wait to eat it, wouldn't that be more tormenting than just waiting to get somewhere when you are suppose to and eat it? Okay, I'm beginning to ramble, so I'll stop. I'm happy that my mother raised me to be on time, but not hours early! Hopefully the generation to come will learn the value of promptness in a respectful way.

Enough for now....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home